♦= a Free event
♦= a Pay-As-You-Drink event
♦= a Flat-Fee event (all drinks included in the cover charge or set price)
♦= a Beer & Food event
♦= Free food will be served at this event
♦= a My Life on Craft Favorite (especially recommended by Mary)
*= updated or added after post was originally published
Monday the 18th:
♦*The VSK (Very Special Keg) tonight at The Blind Tiger in the Village is the What Is Enlightenment?, a new 5.4% pale ale from Hill Farmstead in honor of their 2nd Anniversary, and will be tapped at 5 pm.
♦There’s a German vs United States Beer Tasting at Wechsler’s Currywurst in the East Village tonight. From 7 to 9, compare 3 German-style American-made beers to their traditional German counterparts. Get six 6-oz pours of these beers for $20:
- Kostritzer Schwartzbier vs. Full Sail Session Black
- Apostelbrau Pale Ale vs. Sierra Nevada Torpedo
- Ayinger Celebrator vs. Troegs Trogenator
Tuesday the 19th:
♦Mission Dolores in Park Slope is having a Dogfish Head event today. Taps go on daytime and from 7-10 will be discounted. They’ll also have a first taste of the new Dogfish Head Brooklyn Brine hop pickle (check out the WSJ’s slide show). Here’s a partial draft list, with more promised:
- Robert Johnson’s Hellhound on my Ale
- Festina Peche
- Palo Santo Marron
- 120 Minute IPA
- Positive Contact (new DFH beer)
♦*The $10 Tuesday Night Tasting at Jimmy’s No 43 in the East Village features beers from
the Southern Hemisphere JImmy’s Special Reserves and starts at 7:30 pm. List coming soon…:
- Maine Beer Company Peeper bottles
- Haandbryggereit Nissefar bottles
- Maine Beer Company Zoe bottles
- Schneider Hopfen Weisse bottles
- Dieu du Ciel! Equinox du Printemps bottles
- Nebraska Fathead bottles
♦Rattle n Hum in Midtown has a a Pennsylvania Brewery Night today.
♦Sunswick 35/35 in Astoria has a Stone event tonight from 7 to 10 pm with these drafts:
- 2011 Double Bastard
- Imperial Russian Stout
- Ruination IPA
- Sublimely Self Righteous
- Smoked Porter
- Linchpin White IPA 7% (collab with Founders)
- Le Freak 9.2%
- Hop Head Red 7%
- West Coast IPA 7.3%
- Saison Diego 4.2%
♦*There’s a Tuesday Tasting at Radegast Hall & Biergarten in Williamsburg tonight beginning at 7:30 pm. Get a flight of any four beers from their 9 European drafts for $10 or purchase by the glass. Live music by with the Alex Simon trio.
Wednesday the 20th:
♦The $10 Tasting at Idle Hands in the East Village tonight features Heavy Seas and a bourbon TBA. $10 at the bar between 7 & 10 pm gets you: a full pour each of Loose Cannon and Plank II, tastes of the Land Ho Black Pils, Yule Tide Trippel & Holy Sheet Abbey Ale, a taste of bourbon, and an order of Tater Tots from That Burger with specially made dipping sauce made with a Heavy Seas beer.
- Sour Stout
- Mexican Dark Lager
- Imperial IPA
- Summer Solstice
- Hop Ottin’ IPA
- Boont Amber
Thursday the 21st:
♦Barcade in Williamsburg welcomes Cape Ann Brewing founder Jeremy Goldberg for a Fisherman’s Beer Night beginning at 4 pm. Jeremy spoke at a New York City Homebrewers Guild meeting last fall and I was really impressed with the beers that he poured. This is a great list with quite a few rarities:
- 70 Shilling – 4.0% ABV – Scottish Ale served on cask!!!
- Ale – 6.0% – German style Kolsch – smooth and crisp
- Brew – 5.5% – Lager – unfiltered and well balanced
- Bubba’s Brew 4.0% – Smoked Pale Ale
- Chili Stout – 5.4% – Stout with habanero and jalapeno added – hot stuff!
- Clam Porter – 6.6% – Robust Porter with fresh surf clams!!!
- Dead-Eye Double IPA – 9.0% – West Coast Imperial IPA – look out!
- Dunkelweizen – 5.5% – German style Dunkelweizen
- Eclipse – 6.5% – German style Schwartzbier
- ESB – 5.6% – traditional British style Extra Special Bitter
- Great Wit Whale – 4.1% – Belgian style Witbier
- Home Port Ale – 5.5% – Fresh Hop Ale brewed with locally sourced action!!!
- Honey Pilsner – 4.6% – Czech style Pilsner with locally sourced honey!!!
- Imperial Pumpkin Stout – 11.0% – Pumpkin Stout – Trick or Treat!!!
- Imperial Pumpkin Stout with Fig and Dates – 11.0% – Imperial Pumpkin Stout with fig and dates – dark fruit fest!!!
- IPA – 5.5% – India Pale Ale
- Irish Red – 5.0% – Traditional Red Ale
- Navigator – 7.0% – German style Doppel Bock
- Sour Raspberry Wheat – 5.0% – Sour Ale with raspberry barnyard scenes!!
- Sunrise Saison – 7.0% – Belgian style Saison – Belgian fruit salad!!!
- Tea Party – 9.0% – American Barley Wine brewed with Lapsang Souchang Black Tea
♦♦Kings of Funk at Alewife Queens in Long Island City on June 21st beginning at 5 pm. Co-presented by Get Real, this is an evening with 5 very special brewers: Jean from Cantillon, Yvan from De La Senne, Mark from Bink/Kerkom, Jean from Moeder Lambic and Jeppe from Evil Twin. Three ticket options: $75 for open bar, $100 for beer dinner and $175 for sitting at head table and enjoying some rare beers during the beer dinner with the brewers. A partial beer list:
- De la Senne: Band of Brothers, Taras Boulba, Stouterik, Zinnebir, Brussels Calling (bottles)
- Kerkom: Bink Blond, Bruin, Tripel, Grand Cru
- Cantillon: Gueuze, Fou’foune, Rosé, few more kegs TBA, plus many many rare ass bottles
- Blaugies: Darbyste, Moneuse, Saison d’Epeautre
- Jandrain: IV, V, VI
- Evil Twin: TBA
♦The Ültimate Mahrs Bräu Beer Night and Dinner at Jimmy’s No 43 in the East Village on June 21st. Only 25 tickets are available for this intimate $45 (exclusive of tax & gratuity) dinner. Mahrs owner Stephan Michel will be in attendance and these beers & food items will be available:
- Weisse – Classic Wheat
- Der Weisse Bock
- ETA Hoffman Dunkel – Dark Lager
- Ungespundet – Unfiltered Lager
- Unfiltered Pils – Gravity Pour Cask
- Saphir Weisse
- Wheat beer and cheddar soup
- Slab bacon and kale salad
- BBQ pork tacos
- Braised spelt with shitake mushrooms
- Assorted sausages
- Roasted root vegetables
- Strawberry apple crisp
- Maple bread pudding
The above drafts are also available by the glass for those that do not wish do have the dinner.
- Triton, TIPA (Teutonic IPA)
- Citrus IPA
- Weesh’d Scotch Ale
- Spring Turning
- and more
♦*Barcade Jersey City hosts a Left Hand Beer Night tonight beginning at 4 pm. The list:
- 400 Pound Monkey – 6.7% – English Style IPA
- Beer Week Sauce – 6.0% – Coffee Porter
- Blackjack Porter – 6.4% – English Style Porter
- Good Juju – 4.0% – Brewed with Ginger!
- Milk Stout – 5.5% – Creamy Deliciousness
- Polestar Pilsner – 5.0% – Clean and Crisp
- “Nitro” Sawtooth – 4.8% – ESB on Nitro!
- Smoke Jumper – 8.8% – Smoked Imperial Porter
- The Stranger – 5.0% – American Pale Ale with Toilet Humor!
- Lucky 13
- Dopple Weizen
- Hop Stoopid bottles
Friday the 22nd:
Saturday the 23rd:
♦The Festival in Worcester, Massachusetts. This is a big one – the first US beer fest put on by the Shelton Brothers & 12% Imports. Three sessions on Saturday & Sunday. Tickets are $60 a session or $160 for all three. Get Real has chartered a bus from NYC to the Festival on Saturday – $110 for early bird (which ends soon), $175 after, which includes bus trip there & back, food & craft beer on the bus and a ticket to The Festival. Bus trip tickets are available here and individual The Festival tickets are available here.
♦♦*Brooklyn Based and Brooklyn Brewery present the the Total Astoria Immersion today from noon-6 pm in Astoria, Queens. This neighborhood crawl features drink, food & shopping specials as well as a photo safari with prizes. Pick up your free immersion postcard outside William Hallet or The Sparrow Tavern to unlock these specials:
- Complimentary Brooklyn Brewery beers or beer specials at these bars: William Hallet, The Sparrow Tavern, Botanica and Fort Defiance
- Complimentary bottle of Local One when you order brunch at Vesta or Pachanga Patterson.
- $3 off of grilled cheese sandwiches at Queen’s Kickshaw
Sunday the 24th:
Other upcoming events:
Interesting and/or larger events that are coming soon:
Come hang out with three gypsy brewers from Denmark at the opening celebration of Beer Street in Williamsburg. Brewmasters Jeppe Jarnit-Bjergsø (Evil Twin), Mikkel Borg Bjergsø (Mikkeller), and Tore Gynther (To Øl) will be there from 3 to 7 pm. $15 bucks at the door gets you a plate of BBQ and your first beer. Additional beers will be available for purchase. 10 gypsy beers on draft, including:
- Evil Twin Yin and Yang
- Evil Twin Disco Beer
- Mikkeller Chipotle Porter
- Mikkeller USAlive
- To Øl Goliat
- and more TBA
♦Brouwerij Lane in Greenpoint is offering a Sour Summer Sampler the weekend of July 13-15. $20 gets you a flight of these beers throughout the weekend (or as long as they last!):
- Cantillon Fou’ Foune
- Picobrouwerij Alvinne Wild Freddy
- Cisco Lady of the Woods
- BFM Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien
- Birrificio le Baladin Nora Sour
- Gulpener Bierbrouwerij Mestreechs Aajt
That’s it for now. My friend Chris O’Leary does a fine job of listing daily NYC-area events on a daily basis – please check out his picks (& other beer news) at Brew York New York. My friend Riley has an excellent listing of weekend food & drink events in NYC on his site, RileyList.