♦= a Free event
♦= a Pay-As-You-Drink event
♦= a Flat-Fee event (all drinks included in the cover charge or set price)
♦= a Beer & Food event
♦= Free food will be served at this event
♦= a My Life on Craft Favorite (especially recommended by Mary)
*= updated or added after post was originally published
Brasserie D’Achouffe is celebrating their 30th Anniversary with Gnome Week. I’ve highlighted a few events below and you can obtain a full listing here. They’ve also got an app for iPhones & Androids called Chouffe Little Gnome to go with.
Monday the 4th:
- Double Daddy
- Prohibition Ale
- Scarface Imperial Stout
- White Lightning
♦♦Perilla in the West Village is launching a series of beer dinners tonight. These dinners will run every Monday night throughout the summer. A different brewery will be featured each month and June stars Evil Twin. The dinner is $60 exclusive of tax & tip, reservations will be taken between 5:30 and 11 pm – please call 212-929-6868 for a spot. The menu:
Bananas, Grapefruit Confit, Cucumber & Grains of Paradise
House Made Turkey Scrapple, turnips, polenta cake, cornichons, quail egg & mustard caviar
paired with Mad Dog Pale Ale
Roasted Local Pork Loin, quinoa crusted plum, asparagus, sorrel, pine nut puree & natural jus
paired with Ron and the Beast Ryan Saison
Prosciutto Gelee, Toffee Crumble, Sunchoke Gelato
Chocolate Caramel Tart, malt ice cream, caramel puree, coffee praline
paired with Imperial Biscotti Break Baltic Porter
Goat Cheese Apple Tart
paired with Allagash White
Lobster Poutine, Belchers cheese curds, corn bechamel, pan gravy
paired with Allagash Triple
Molasses and Rum Glazed Vermont Grilled Quail, string bean succotash
paired with Allagash Dubbel
BBQ Glazed Wild Boar Tenderloin, smoked potato salad
paired with Allagash Curieux
Chocolate Fluffernutter Napoleon
paired with Allagash Black
♦♦The Guilty Goose in Chelsea hosts a Dogfish Head Ancient Ales beer pairing dinner tonight. The five course dinner is $100 per person, exclusive of tax and a 20% gratuity. Seating is at 7 with the dinner beginning at 7:30 pm – please call 212-255-3727 to reserve your seat.
Grilled Sardines, za’atar, pine nut, Ta henket beer bread, marinated vegetables
paired with Ta Henket
Cous Cous Roasted Stuffed Squid, Jicama “slaw”, orange blossom-sake gastrique
paired with Chateau Jiahu
Lobster “Carbonara” Risotto, saffron, egg yolk, hickory smoked bacon
paired with Midas Touch
Cocoa Nib Crusted Venison Loin, ancho chili, black trumpet, crispy plantains
paired with Theobroma
Gingerbread Pear Tart, coconut ice cream, candied ginger
paired with Sah’tea
Tuesday the 5th:
♦The $10 Tuesday Night Tasting at Jimmy’s No 43 in the East Village features black (or nearly so) beers and starts at 7:30 pm. The list:
- Full Sail Session Black bottles
- Greenport Harbor Hoppy Stout draft
- Mikkeller Chipotle Porter draft
- AleSmith Wee Heavy bottles
- Ovisholt Lava bottles
- Mikkeller Cognac-Barrel Beer Geek Brunch bottles
- Chouffe Biere du Soleil
- Houblon Chouffe
♦Rattle n Hum in Midtown has a Summer Beer event today. Tap list coming soon.
Wednesday the 6th:
♦♦Style events return to The Blind Tiger in the Village today with an evening of saisons. These are perhaps my favorite kind of event as they are a wonderful way to compare a variety of beers brewed to a particular style. Saison is a loose category that allows the brewer a lot of creativity so this evening should be a lot of fun. Especially with this list:
- Evil Twin – Ron & The Beast Ryan
- Stillwater Stillwater/Mikkeller – Our Side
- Stillwater/Brewer’s Art – Debutante
- Stillwater As Follows
- North Coast La Merle
- Nogne O India Saison (with Bravo & Stella hops)
- De Glazen Toren Saison d’Erpe-Mere
- Saison Dupont
- Dupont Beloeil (Dark with Chestnut)
- Pretty Things Jack D’or
- Hill Farmstead Art
- Pretty Things Field Mouse Farewell
- Green Flash Summer Saison
♦♦61 Local in Cobble Hill continues their Meet Your Maker Series tonight at 7. This tasting features beers from Kelso of Brooklyn paired with ice cream from Phin & Phebes – artisanal ice cream & beer floats! Kelso owner Kelly Taylor will narrate the tasting and attendees will pick their favorite pairing. The winning pairing will go on to compete at the July 11 finale tasting. Each session is $35, tickets can be purchased here with proceeds going to benefit the Brownsville Student Farm Project.
♦The $10 Tasting at Idle Hands in the East Village tonight features Weyerbacher and a bourbon TBA. $10 at the bar between 7 & 10 pm gets you: two full pours of Verboten and Last Chance IPA, tastes of the Blanche, Double Simcoe & Insanity, a taste of bourbon, and an order of Tater Tots from That Burger with specially made dipping sauce made with a beer from Weyerbacher.
- Saison Mihm
♦♦Cafe D’Alsace on the Upper West Side is hosting a Brasserie d’Achouffe beer dinner tonight through Saturday night. The dinner will be served between 6 and 11 pm every night and costs $49.95 exclusive of tax & tip. Reservations are recommended – please call 212-722-5133 to ensure a spot. The menu:
Seafood Sausage, rouille, saffron potatoes, fennel, mache salad
Tuna Crostini, wasabi mayonnaise, nori and soy sauce served on country toast
paired with Biere du Soleil
Petite Choucroute Garnie, assorted sausage, smoked pork breast, potatoes and beer braise sauerkraut with juniper berries
Bouillabaisse Mussels, Frites & rouille
paired with Gnomegang
Chocolate Tart, fleur de sel, crème anglaise and caramel ice cream
Mignardises, assortment of cookies
paired with McChouffe
- Still Nacht
- Export Stout
♦*The Gate in Park Slope has a Stone Rarities event tonight beginning at 7 pm. The list:
- Lukcy Basardt 2010
- Belgo Imperial Russian Stout 2011
- Vertical Epic 10.10.10
- 14th Anniversary Empirial IPA
- Double Bastard
Thursday the 7th:
♦Brouwerij Lane in Greenpoint is hosting an AllaBash event tonight beginning at 6 pm. They’ll have small pours, large pours, flights & growlers available of these Allagash beers:
- Hugh Malone
- Big Little
- Thing 1
- Les Deux Brasseurs (DeProef Collaboration)
- Bourbon Black
- Saison Mihm
- 30th Anniversary Jack & Ken’s Ale – 10.2% ABV – Big Black Barleywine…oh boy!!!
- 3oth Anniversary Fritz & Ken’s Ale – 9.2% ABV – Imperial Stout….look out!!!
- Bigfoot Ale – 9.6% ABV – American Barleywine – The “Godfather” of Barleywines
- Celebration Ale – 6.8% ABV – American IPA
- Hoptimum – 10.4% ABV – Imperial IPA – Delish!!!
- Kellerweis – 4.8% ABV – Bavarian Style Hefeweizen – crispy!
- Life and Limb – 10.2% ABV – American Strong Ale – yeah it’s strong!!!
- Ovila Dubbel – 7.5% ABV – Belgian Style Dubbel – real nice!!
- Ovila Quad – 10.4% ABV – Belgian style Quadruple Ale – Big boy!
- Pale Ale – 5.6% ABV – American style Pale Ale – The “Classic”
- Southern Hemisphere Harvest Ale – 6.7% ABV – American style IPA – fresh hop action!!
- Summerfest – 5.0% ABV – European style Lager
- Torpedo Extra IPA – 6.8% ABV – American style IPA
- Torpedo “dry hopped” Extra IPA (cask) – 6.8% ABV – American style IPA
- American Ale – 5.0% ABV – Flaghsip Pale Ale.
- Colonel Blide’s Cask Ale – 5.5% – On Draft and Cask!
- East Coast Lager – 5.0% – Light and Crisp.
- Hopnotic IPA – 5.0% – We have a good Hopnotic story…
- Imperial IPA – 7.5% – Small Batch DIPA!
- Jersey Summer Breakfast Ale – 5.5% – Belgian Pale Ale.
♦*The Bronx Ale House has a Chouffe event tonight with these beers on tap:
- Biere du Soleil
- La Chouffe
- Mc Chouffe
- Houblon Chouffe
♦*Buddha Beer Bar in Washington Heights has a Dogfish Head event tonight from 6 to 9. Swag giveaways, including a free goblet with each 120 purchase. The list:
Friday the 8th:
♦The Whole Foods Bowery Beer Room has a Chouffe tonight at 6 pm. Chouffe swag is promised, along with samples of these beers:
- Houblon Chouffe
- Pay De Soleil
♦♦The Spring Lounge in Soho has a Zingari Stardust Kegs & Eggs event from 8 am to noon today. Tchoup Shop will be providing scrambled eggs, green chili braised pork with scallions/cilantro, handmade pickled jalapeños/onions, red beans cooked with andouille sausage and buttermilk biscuits while they last. These Wandering Star and Pretty Things beers will be on draft:
- Wandering Star USSR (Ultimate Summer Session Rye)
- Wandering Star Zingari Wit
- Wandering Star Thunderbolt IPA
- Pretty Things Field Mouse Farewell
- Pretty Things Baby Tree
Saturday the 9th:
♦The Stag’s Head and BXL East are teaming up for a Beer Abroad event today on 51st St in Midtown East. This block party will take place from 2-8 pm. BXL East will be pouring Duvel Single and La Chouffe while The Stag’s Head will pour Art of Darkness, Gnomegang and Adoration from Ommegang. Everyone that purchases 3 beers (with at least 1 at both BXL East and The Stag’s Head) will get free swag from a Duvel USA rep – giveaways include glassware from Duvel’s artisan line, t-shirts, and 750 ml bottles of beer.
Sunday the 10th:
Other upcoming events:
Impressive and/or larger events that are coming soon:
♦Brooklyn Waterfront Beer Festival on June 16th. A beer festival in Williamsburg held in two sessions with Connoisseur, VIP and General Session options for each. Advance tickets are $125 for Connoisseur, $75 for VIP and $55 for General Admission. I’ll be leading panels on Urban Homebrewing and Women in Beer, there will be live music and local food for purchase.
♦♦Kings of Funk at Alewife Queens in Long Island City on June 21st beginning at 5 pm. Co-presented by Get Real, this is an evening with 5 very special brewers: Jean from Cantillon, Yvan from De La Senne, Mark from Bink/Kerkom, Jean from Moeder Lambic and Jeppe from Evil Twin. Three ticket options: $75 for open bar, $100 for beer dinner and $175 for sitting at head table and enjoying some rare beers during the beer dinner with the brewers. A partial beer list:
- De la Senne: Band of Brothers, Taras Boulba, Stouterik, Zinnebir, Brussels Calling (bottles)
- Kerkom: Bink Blond, Bruin, Tripel, Grand Cru
- Cantillon: Gueuze, Fou’foune, Rosé, few more kegs TBA, plus many many rare ass bottles
- Blaugies: Darbyste, Moneuse, Saison d’Epeautre
- Jandrain: IV, V, VI
- Evil Twin: TBA
That’s it for now. My friend Chris O’Leary does a fine job of listing daily NYC-area events on a daily basis – please check out his picks (& other beer news) at Brew York New York. My friend Riley has an excellent listing of weekend food & drink events in NYC on his site, RileyList.