I joined the Try Something New Every Month challenge in January of this year. This is a fantastic challenge that Stephanie from Swoodson Says and Rebecca from Hugs Are Fun are co-hosting. They have a list of suggested themes & a Facebook group. I’m going to use this post to collect inspiration, ideas & plans for future months.
The suggested themes:
January – Quilting
I tried paper piecing 1/4″ hexies. Blogged here.
February- Tactile Craft; paper mache, clay, soap, candlemaking
I tried sculpting tiny creatures with Creative Paperclay. I’d like to incorporate them into mini dioramas or jewelry or something. Soon…
I didn’t stick to the theme on this one (and I painted the tiny creatures last month). Instead, I tried weaving on my mini Jim Hokett loom & tissue paper mache. The tutorial for the tissue paper mache light shade is here.
April- Edible Crafts
- I’m thinking of trying to make natural breath mints and licorice candy.
- Otherwise, I’m trying new recipes & edible ideas this month. So far, I’ve tried goat milk yogurt & sourdough tortillas.
May – Hand Sewing
June- Heavy Craft; leather, wood burning, glass etching
- Leather will likely win out here. Ideas: I love this leather bracelet, this leather bracelet with a vintage key, this leather necklace, this leather obi belt with flower, this foldover clutch
July- Yarn Craft; knitting, crochet, weaving
- thread crochet? crochet jewelry?
August- Printmaking; fabric or paper
- I really want to try making a gelli plate & doing some gelli printing. Inspiration here, here & here. And I’d like to try the agar agar version – recipe here. Fabric beads from gelli prints?
September – Machine Sewing
- I’ve pinned a ton of machine projects that I’d like to try on Pinterest. So many to choose from…
October- Needlework; embroidery, cross-stitch, crewel, needlepoint
November- Papercraft; origami, scrapbook, calligraphy
- paper beads?
December- Choose your own!